Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Zov's Salmon Burger with Avocado-Lime Guacamole



If you're looking for a lighter and more refreshing version of a burger, or just want to try something different from the standard beef patty, I'd definitely recommend these Salmon Burgers. This post here is courtesy of the Zov: Recipes and Memories from the Heart cookbook by Zov Karamardian. I've had this book for about a year now; Dan slipped it in my suitcase as a surprise read when I went out of town on a business trip last April. He knows I LOVE LOVE our local Zov's Bistro and thought I'd love having the book with some of her recipes. I honestly have to say that this is one of the only cookbooks I own where I truly LOVE every dish I've made from it and this was no exception (by the way, the Lentil Soup recipe alone is to die for - I make it about once a month and it reheats very well for lunch leftovers).

Salmon Burger with Avocado-Lime Guacamole (serves 6)
1 1/2 pound boneless skinless salmon fillet, minced by hand (DO NOT USE A FOOD PROCESSOR OR THE MEAT CAN GET STRINGY AND MUSHY)
1/2 C. mayonnaise (I used a light version, and it turned out just fine)
1/4 C. minced shallots
3 T. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
3 T. finely chopped fresh chives
3 T. finely chopped fresh dill
3 T. minced lemongrass (I omitted this since I didn't have it around my house)
3 T. minced peeled fresh ginger
3 T. thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
2 T. hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
1 T. minced garlic
1 t. salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1 1/2 C. panko
1/2 C. raw sesame seeds
2 T. vegetable oil (or more if needed)
6 hamburger buns, split
Avocado-Lime Guac (I didn't follow her recipe, instead I used my own below).

1) Stir the first 15 ingredients in a large bowl just until blended (do not overwork the fish). Stir in 1 cup of panko. Form the salmon mixture into six 4.5 inch diameter patties that are 1/2 inch thick. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

2) Stir the sesame seeds with the remaining 1/2 cup of panko in a shallow bowl. Generously coat the patties with the sesame mixture. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil on a large nonstick griddle over medium-high heat. Working in batches, grill the patties until golden brown on the outside and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adding more oil to the griddle as needed.

3) Generously spread the Avocado-Lime Guacamole over the bun bottoms. Top with the cabbage or lettuce shreddings.

Avocado-Lime Guac
3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
3 T. chopped cilantro
3 T. chopped shallots or red onion (or some combination of both)
juice from 1-2 limes (depending on how juicy the limes are, and how lime-y you like your guac)
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
dash of red pepper flakes for kick
healthy dash of black pepper and salt to taste

*mash all ingredients together until you've reached your desired consistency. I like my guac semi-smooth, but still like to have chunks of avocado in it.*

Enjoy!

Bre

8 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you posted this- I've been thinking about trying to make a salmon burger all week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe! Must try. I'm your newest follower!

    xoxo,
    Gigi

    http://lapetitegigi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious ! Check out : http://nothinlasts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks good. I can't seem to make a good fish burger at home. at restaurants, I usually ordered a fish burger if I was craving burger (was a pescatarian for awhile, but recently started eating meat again) and they are usually so delicious. way better than meat burger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, this sounds and looks delicious. Definitely going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! Makes me drool only to look at it! :) I wanted you to know that I featured one of the pictures of your blog in one of my posts. It's about fashion and bikes, you can see it here: http://fromheretofashion.blogspot.com/2012/01/sunday-moodboard-bicycles.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious, holy cannoli. i am going to make this now!

    chiara @ the littletiara.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! this title alone got me hungry! can't wait to try! xoxo

    the well-traveled wife

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...